Home Invites Members Groups Events Videos News Photos Blogs Polls Chat
Home > News > Post Content

Join Oakwood's Founders Day Challenge (337 hits)

Oakwood’s founders were all prominent SDA World Church leaders: co-founder/author Mrs. Ellen G. White, President O.A. Olsen, Treasurer H. Lindsey and G.A. Irwin, the Southern District director.

Throughout its history, the school has undergone four name changes, each one reflective of its growth and advancing academic status:

1896 – Oakwood Industrial School
1904 – Oakwood Manual Training School
1917 – Oakwood Junior College
1943 – Oakwood College
2008 – Oakwood University

All alumni, students and friends of Oakwood University are asked to join us in celebrating Founders Day, November 16, 1896.

Our goal is to have 1,896 donors by Founders Day, November 16, 2019.

Share the challenge with friends and family by visiting the Oakwood website https://give.oakwood.edu/founders-day-2/ to donate $18.96, $189.60, $1,896.00, $18,960.00 --or any amount.

Join us in this challenge celebrating the history and mission of Oakwood University of transforming students' lives. Show your pride and loyalty to Oakwood through philanthropy.

The mission of Oakwood University, a historically black, Seventh-day Adventist institution, is to transform students through biblically-based education for service to God and humanity.

Oakwood University, in Huntsville, Alabama, was founded by the Seventh-day Adventist Church (SDA) in 1896 to educate the recently-freed African-Americans of the South. Drawing upon its Christian faith and the emancipation of slaves by President Abraham Lincoln in 1863, it believed that “all people are created equal” and deserved the opportunity to learn a trade.

Originally, the school was called “Oakwood Industrial School,” opening its doors November 16, with 16 students. A year earlier, the 380-acre former slave plantation was purchased for $6,700. Its towering oak trees – which gave way to the name “Oakwood” – dotted the early residence of America’s most famous slave, Dred Scott.

Additional land was acquired in 1918, nearly tripling the campus size to its current 1,186 acres.

Publishers: Oakwood University Development and IMPR Staff
Posted By: Sister Elynor Moss
Thursday, November 14th 2019 at 12:53PM
You can also click here to view all posts by this author...

Report obscenity | post comment
Share |
Please Login To Post Comments...
Email:
Password:

 
More From This Author
Inhale love - Exhale love
Last 4 Days - MLK Day Sale, 8% off every order + Free Shipping
Join us for National Mentoring Month
PROVE THEM WRONG - Motivational Video ft. Tom Brady, Michael Jordan and Martin Luther King Jr
Invitation to Mayor Ginther's Community Day
Christmas Comes Early at the 19th Annual UNCF Leader’s Luncheon in Ft. Lauderdale
Introducing HBCU Connect's Featured Student: Zavian "Mister Tuskegee" Bell
Who makes learning cool?
Forward This Article Entry!
News Home

(Advertise Here)
Latest Photos
>> more | add
Latest Member Activity
obioma richardson just edited her profile. 07:21PM
obioma richardson just became a new member. 07:10PM
bettie smith just became a new member. 03:07PM
robbie ware just became a new member. 01:44PM
louise gaile just edited her profile. 11:54AM
william brown just became a new member. 04:32PM
william roger moss iii just became friends with ty couey. 10:01PM
>> more | invite friends